Last week DiAnn shared the first half of how to show character growth and change. If you missed it, you can read part 1 here!
6. Show the character in a stunning victory, then steal it. The character works hard at obtaining something, then take it away. Better yet, toss him into a waterhole filled with hungry crocodiles. How does he react and respond to the loss and the danger facing him?
7. Show the character failing. Have the character run down false leads and realize a red herring, then internalize his error. How does the reversal affect him?
8. Show the character’s emotions The character needs to experience all seven of the universal emotions: anger, fear, sadness, surprise, happiness, disgust, contempt (http://www.tonyareiman.com/). His emotions are uniquely his: unpredictable and believable.
9. Show the character’s dialogue. When we desire something, it occupies our thoughts, words, and actions. Ensure the character’s dialogue is ambiguous of what he truly needs.
10. Show the character with symbols. The character attaches emotional qualities to tangible item(s). How do those items build him up or tear him down?
Character growth and change is not the same for every character. Some protagonists and antagonist will stay the same from the beginning of the story until the end. A character might worsen, as in an antagonist. But for the hero or heroine, the internal transformation must be clear and shown in ways that the reader has no doubt what has occurred.
How do you show heroic qualities in your characters?
About DiAnn Mills
Award-winning author DiAnn Mills combines an adventuresome spirit with unforgettable characters to create action-packed novels. DiAnn’s first book was published in 1998. She currently has more than 50 books in print, which have sold more than a million and a half copies and appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists. DiAnn also won back-to-back Christy Awards in 2010 and 2011 for Breach of Trust and Sworn to Protect, the first two books in her Call of Duty series. Her online home is www.diannmills.com.
About Deep Extraction
FBI Task Force, Book 2
A pacemaker should have saved oil and gas magnate Nathan Moore’s life. Instead, it provided his killer with a seemingly perfect means of execution.
A bombing at one of Nathan’s oil rigs days earlier indicates his death could be part of a bigger conspiracy, a web Special Agent Tori Templeton must untangle. But her first order of business is separating the personal from the professional—the victim’s wife, her best friend, is one of the FBI’s prime suspects.
Clearing Sally’s name may be the biggest challenge of her career, but Tori finds an unexpected ally in the newest member of the task force, recently reinstated Deputy US Marshal Cole Jeffers. As Tori and Cole dig deeper into Nathan’s personal and business affairs, they uncover more than they bargained for. And the closer they get to finding the real killer—and to each other—the more intent someone is on silencing them for good.