Like many readers, I’m fascinated by the creative process that results in a book cover! For every book in my Porter series, I’ve shared a ‘behind the scenes’ peek into the cover shoot. I’m delighted to continue the tradition today with this post about the making of Her One and Only’s cover!
A few fascinating facts:
- Every Porter Family cover features a real life couple! Both Undeniably Yours and Her One and Only’s couples are married, friends of editor Raela Schoenherr, and parents of one child. The other two couples were dating at the time of the shoots. Next time it’s my turn to blog, I’ll share an interview with Her One and Only’s Aaron and Melissa.
- The cover photos were all shot near Minneapolis, Minnesota (where Bethany House’s headquarters is located). They typically shoot the covers in September, about eight months prior to my May releases.
- The finished cover is ready approximately a month later, in time for inclusion in the summer catalog that’s shown to buyers at the sales conference in October.
Candid Photos From the Day of….
Professional Photos From the Day of….
Video From the Day of….
When it’s time to select a cover for a novel, the Graphic Designer presents several options to the decision-making team, which is made up of people who work in sales, marketing, editorial, and design. These options are called ‘mock ups’. Here are the ‘runner up’ covers for Her One and Only.
Her One and Only will become available in just a few days, on Tuesday, May 3rd! I’m honored to be supporting an organization called Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund via the novel’s release. A percentage of the purchase price on all pre-ordered copies and on all copies sold post-release from May 3rd through May 9th will be donated to IFHF. Bo, Ty, Jake, and Dru — my Porter family characters — were Marines so I felt led to find a way to support our real life heroes through their books.
If you click on the graphic below, it will take you to a page that contains links to the online stores selling Her One and Only. You can also pre-order through your local book store, of course. 🙂
Give a shout out to your friends and family who are serving or who did serve in the military! Which of the ‘mock up’ covers is your favorite?
Latest posts by Becky Wade (see all)
- Cover Reveal! - October 20, 2017
- The Secret Life of Sarah Hollenbeck (and a giveaway!) - October 13, 2017
- Cover Matching Challenge and Giveaway - September 22, 2017