If you happened to see my last blog post about the making of Her One and Only’s cover, then you know that the couple on the cover are a real life husband and wife.
Their names are Aaron and Melissa and they very kindly allowed me to interview them! Thank you so much, Aaron and Melissa. I’m honored to have the two of you on my novel’s cover. It was a treat to get to know you via these questions….
How did you meet? We met in college, Aaron was the senior that was assigned to show me around campus freshman year. It’s fun because we always remember the day we met because it was my first day there!
What kind of work do you both do? Aaron is an engineer and I am a recruiter.
What are your hobbies? We both love skiing. Aaron loves running and golf and I love horseback riding.
How did it come about that you two (non-models, right?) found yourselves modeling for the cover of Her One and Only? Our friend Raela set it up for us! She thought we matched the characters’ descriptions. [Becky here. Raela Schoenherr is my editor at Bethany House. Friends of hers also posed for the cover of Undeniably Yours. You have such cute friends, Raela! They grace two of my four Porter novels. The Porter covers wouldn’t have been the same without them.]
How long have you been married? 7 years!
When you think back to the day of the cover shoot, what memories stick out? It was a beautiful day out and so nice to be outside! Everyone we met was so nice and made the day great!
How did it feel to spend an afternoon as models? It was such a fun day! As a mom it was so wonderful to have someone else do my hair and make-up! It was really fun and challenging at the same time to try and get into character!
What do you think of the finished cover? We love it, it turned out so cute!
Okay, Aaron… let’s see how similar you are to Gray Fowler, the hero of Her One and Only.
- Did you grow up playing football? Yes, but not in high school (I played tennis and basketball).
- Have you ever set foot in Texas? Yes, last year my wife’s brother got married there!
- Are you prone to betting on things against your buddies? Not really…but maybe I should.
- Do you drive a Denali and/or a Ferrari? I wish!
- Have you ever had a pesky stalker who sends you threatening letters? Yes, but we ended up getting married so it is all worked out now 😉
Your turn, Melissa! How similar are you to Dru Porter?
- Do you have three older brothers? No, I’m actually the oldest! I have two younger sisters and a younger brother — love them.
- How about a golden retriever? Do you have one of those? No, we have a very hyper yellow lab who has kept us on our toes, but I have always loved golden retrievers!
- Are you outstanding at pistol shooting? I am absolutely mediocre at shooting! My dad and brother are big hunters and I did actually grow up shooting quite a bit! I went through gun safety and have done some trap shooting, but I am certainly not outstanding!
- Do you eat a lot of Pop Tarts? No, I don’t think I have had one since I was a kid. I am more of a cheeze-it kind of person.
- Did you ever consider a career as a female bodyguard? I can honestly say not once, haha!