I was able to interview the models on the covers of my past two books and had my fingers crossed that I’d be able to do the same for A Love Like Ours. Thanks to Skye and Killian, the two lovely people on the front of A Love Like Ours, I’m continuing the cover model interview tradition! They patiently, graciously answered my questions. At my request, Skye even recorded some of her answers. Be sure to check out the embedded video below!
Can you tell me a little about your family, your life currently, and your aspirations for the future? I have a small family of 4 including my dad, (Bay, 42) my mom, (Lori 42) and my older brother Andrew (22) Right now, I am finishing off my last trimester of high school and will be headed off to Iowa State University in the fall. My aspirations for the future are to have a good job, be happy, and hopefully continue modeling.
Have you been modeling for long? What do you like about it? What aspects are challenging? I have been modeling for about 2 years now! I really love all of the new people I have had the pleasure of meeting over these years and the fun experiences that I have gotten to have. One thing I find challenging about modeling is being 5’4’’ in an industry where tall people are preferred.
Have you modeled for other book covers? If so, which ones? No I have not! This is my first.
What are your hobbies? I enjoy playing hockey, hanging out with friends, shopping… you know, typical girl stuff.
What are you favorite types of books and movies? Luckily, I am both! My favorite is reading a good book and then comparing it to a movie. My favorite types of books are actually love stories and mysteries. As for movies, I am pretty much all over the place from horror movies to love movies.
And now (just for fun) a brief quiz to see how much you’re like Lyndie James, the heroine of A Love Like Ours.
- Have you ever been to Texas? I have not yet.
- Do you do much horseback riding? Yes, I have been twice in my life and found it really fun!
- Are you a fan of Reese’s Peanut Butter cups? How about coffee? I can enjoy a Reese’s every once in awhile but coffee is something that I can barely live without in the mornings. I love my Starbucks.
- Are you skilled at art? No, this is a talent I’ve always wished I had!
- When you were a child did you have a best friend that was a boy? No!
- Are you an animal lover? Yes! I love all animals almost too much. In the summer I love to just go look around at the Humane Society and actually about two years ago we were lucky enough to adopt our dog Mallie from there! She’s featured in the video!
Can you tell me a little about your family, your life currently, and your aspirations for the future? I have two sisters. My father lives in Texas and comes to visit us every weekend as he has a job in Texas. My mother works from home for a water treatment company. I am currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, and I am studying architecture. In the future I hope to be an Architect at a small firm working on a lot of projects.
How did you feel about modeling for a book cover? I was very nervous at first because I am not the most photogenic person nor did I really know how to “model”.
What do you most remember from the day of the cover shoot? During the middle part of the shoot I was asked to sit up on a fence and it turned out to be a fence for a horse and was wired electrically so when I sat on it I got shocked!
What are your hobbies? My main hobby is lacrosse, I play on the D1 Club team at the university. Another hobby is working out.
What are your favorite types of books and movies? I recently finished American Sniper and it was a fantastic book. I am a big movie and TV person my favorite movie is American Sniper and my favorite TV show is Sons of Anarchy.
And now (just for fun) a brief quiz to see how much you’re like Jake Porter, the hero of A Love Like Ours.
- Would you say you’re a brooding type of person? No I wouldn’t say that. I’m more of a happy person and really enjoy showing my happiness.
- Any history working with horses? Unfortunately, no. Although I do find horses extremely interesting and would love to work with them.
- Did you play football in high school? No, I played lacrosse, and football in middle school.
- Is there anything ‘cowboy’ about you? My dad lives in Texas if that counts! I would love to be a ranch hand at some point in my life.
- Has anyone in your family served in the Marines? Not the Marines but both my half brothers and biological father were in the navy and each did one deployment.
- Do you own a black stetson? No, my dad does though because he thinks he is a cowboy down in Texas.
Thanks again, Skye and Killian! If anyone missed my last blog installment, click here for behind-the-scenes scoop and photos from the day of the cover shoot.
Inspired by Life and Fiction readers, did anything surprise you about the model interviews? What did you enjoy most about them?
p.s. A ‘review and excerpt tour’ for A Love Like Ours is currently running in tandem with a giveaway that includes prizes of a $50 gift card and books! Click here for more details.