Did you know that authors have launch teams?
Launch teams or Influencers are groups of readers who partner with an author around the release of a book. The readers agree to help promote, launch the book into the world, or influence others to want to read it. Usually when possible, the author tries to give members of the launch team each a free book (to make the promoting easier and more convenient).
I’ve been really blessed to have some EXCELLENT launch teams for previous book releases. I’m so grateful for all of the various ways readers have helped to promote my books!
And now it’s that time again, when I’m beginning to form a launch team for my first light house book, Love Unexpected (which releases Dec. 1).
I love being able to include as many people as possible onto the list that I send my publisher. However, I’ve learned over the years, that not everyone who signs up to be an Influencer fulfills their commitment to help promote. Some might even be signing up just so they can get a free book *gasp* but with little thought to actually helping. (Although this rarely happens with my awesome launch teams!) 😉
All that to say, if you’ve ever wondered if you’d qualify to be on an author’s launch team, here are a few things to consider:
1. Love the genre that author writes in. For example, Love Unexpected is a historical romance. More specifically, it’s a Christian romance. So if you don’t like historicals, romance, or inspirational books in any combination, then you likely won’t make a good influencer for my books.
In order to promote a book enthusiastically and honestly, it helps if the genre is one that you really enjoy. Obviously, not every book will resonate even when the book is from a favorite genre. But we can more genuinely promote the book if we’re confident that we can get behind it.
2. Be willing to talk about the book. Word of mouth is one of the best ways to help an author’s book become successful. Shyness isn’t allowed! 😉 The more people talk about and get excited about the book, the more others will become curious and want to discover it for themselves.
Word of mouth can come in many forms:
• Talking to real-life friends and/or relatives about the book
• Sharing about the book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, or any other social media site
• Writing a book review and sharing the review on blogs or online bookstores
• Discussing the book at a book group, library, bookstore, or church
Whatever form the talking takes, the important thing is that a reader is sharing genuine enthusiasm that will in turn motivate others to want to check out the book or author for themselves.
3. Desire to share your enthusiasm for reading. This world can NEVER have too many readers! Reading is one of the healthiest uses of time (compared to watching TV!). We as avid readers need to be on a mission to constantly recruit new readers.
I always love when readers email and say something like, “I was in a slump with reading until I read your book and it renewed my love of reading.” It’s always a huge compliment to resurrect someone’s love of reading or to perhaps spark that life in the first place.
For those who love Christian fiction specifically, we need to be on a mission to change the prejudices against it. There are still too many people who think Christian fiction is sub-par or not worthy of their time. We have the power to change their views, especially when we share well-written, riveting stories with them.
My Summary: Readers don’t have to be on an official launch team in order to help promote. In fact, I’ve had many readers who shout out about my books simply from the goodness of their hearts and because they enjoyed the stories. Either way a reader helps, formally or informally, we authors appreciate every little bit you do!
So how about you? What gets you talking about a book? Have you ever thought about going on a mission to spread the love of reading?
P.S. If you meet the above 3 criteria and would like to join my launch team for my upcoming release, Love Unexpected, send me an email at email@example.com. I have a few influencer spots available and would love to consider anyone who’s interested in helping spread the word about the book!